Running on minimal sleep. Waiting for two deliveries at separate addresses on the same day … chaos! Coffee in hand, weather is still terrible. Starting to write up reddit python project notes.
Had a nice early night last night. Woke up spark awake at 5.30 and couldn’t get back to sleep. So decided to make some breakfast have a brew. Loads to do, as you lot may know we’ve had some pretty bad storms in the UK recently and the weather has been particularly crap for this reason I’m avoiding sorting my garage out till it cheers up a little. I’ve got loads of little micro controller projects on the go just trying to condense what I’m learning into some useful videos / code. I’ll probably write up all the notes for the RPi reddit project later on today too with photo’s etc. Right peace BBL
Well hakology need to record a VBLOG later had some new tech arrive, nothing too special, a new microcontroller (the smallest one yet), some adapters and a couple of transistors I need for an RF amplifier I’m looking at building. Need to go and get cleaned up though before I get messy, starting to grow one of those linux admin beards.
Smallest microcontroller I’ve worked with yet …
Managed to get the arduino mini programmed using another arduino. Having issues trying to get the two boards working in unison the display draws, but I can’t seem to get the time from the RTC.
Up bright and early this morning covered almost head to toe in fibre glass insulation. Rearranging the loft to start putting some temporary flooring up there. Also want to reposition my discone and dig through some of the old tech. I was thinking about trying to pull my old acorn electron down and making a short vblog on it see if I could power it up etc … 1985 vintage … 26 year old capacitors hmmmm ? 🙂
Six hours later and I’ve used all the floor boards I have. Still a long way to go but its a start. Completely knackered going to have a rest and contemplate my next job.
Woke up very late today but respectively I had a very late night last night, tweaking the rpi/reddit/python/arduino project. Im having issues with serial communication somewhere there’s a few bits / bytes being lost? It very irregular and after a little bit of debugging I think its either the serial message get out of sync and missed part of the message or the arduino is rejecting certain characters. The reddit API JSON comes utf-8 encoded and needs converting to ASCII before I send it to the arduino, I’m processing the string to remove and replace irregular characters, I’m going to try changing the baud rate later see if this has an impact.
RE. Wardriving idk if it was where I had the GPS dongle positioned in the car but the GPS co-ords I converted to KML where ALL OVER THE PLACE so maybe its down to kismet and the –use-nmea-gps option this is the only thing I’ve really changed since I last went out. (Regardless of GPS I still managed to get some good data.)
The LED matrix project is looking very slick now, apart from the serial message issues I’m pretty darn happy with it.
Managed to get my keyboard in the post this morning on its way back to the manufacturer for the second time, think I’ve mentioned this before but, really hope they get it right this time (I’ve even requested they send me a different model this time round.) *fingers crossed*
Chores done thinking about doing a vblog assembling a small FM transmitter I purchased from ebay. Will try and get the next main hakology video done first though.
Im only rendering the sdr# video! … still dont have the perfect solution for screen capture but its done now … the audio is terrible near the start next time will record on another device as noise supression appears to be playing hell with my laptop capture, meh, its done now time to move on and not make that mistake in future.
Todays VBLOG I made an FM transmitter from a small kit I purchased on ebay. Just rendering the video and preparing to upload it. This by far was the most enjoyable vblog I’ve done so far may be more to come like it.
Time to get busy NO MATTER WHAT. Had a great weekend spent with my son and family, we even did a little coding using the reddit API. Sunday was cool too, I managed to grab some bargains from a few second hand sales, nothing exciting or tech related, just a few books on survival/bushcraft/scouting. Today im going to attempt to record the SDR# video as the last time I forgot to hit record! (*not quite I forgot to hit record but that’s another story/rant), I’m also ready to go war driving so that might be a thing in a few hours. Had some more breakout / dev boards turn up in the post but not the one I’m waiting for, lol, its always the way.
Nothing ever goes as planned, I went for a little war drive earlier after having installed kismet, gpsd-clients and gpsd. Recently I reinstalled debian with lxde and I couldn’t figure out, or seem to kill the gpsd process to set my gps as the default device (/dev/ttyUSB0), no matter what I did couldn’t get kismet to detect the dongle in gpsd or even find the configuration file. I decided to run kismet with the –use–nmea option BUT this was a lot less reliable in kismet than what gpsd usually is. Then my netbook went to sleep as I havent figured out the power saving settings in lxde yet. (I’ve been using lxde less than a week) I pulled over to restart my scan but accidentally chose the wrong wireless device when I restarted kismet, so all in all a complete mess. That said I’m working on a little script to load everything at once correctly so this won’t happen again. I really newb’d out tonight, If at first you don’t succeed try harder.
 sudo kismet -c wlan1 -use-nmea-gps /dev/ttyUSB0 -gps-reconnect true
DO NOT USE THIS FOR GPS IT SUCKS … I had the most sketchy log files using this syntax to call kismet. Might have been the way I had the dongle positioned but I think its the way netxmltokml process the file when its been generated using that switch.