I’d never really paid much attention to printing or print materials till early this year, never had a need to print much out. Since starting out with the plotter I get some requests, a lot of which I have to turn down for labels and printed contour cut stickers, which is really annoying. The entry level for UV / solvent based printers is still rather high, a basic printer will set you back anything from £3k to around £5k depending if you just require a solvent printer or one with a contour cutting head. The latest and greatest roland cutter/printer could set you back as much as £24-28k. Maybe I’m understating what these machines are capable of ie. the above machine will print photo quality 6ft+ wide and has an incorporated cutting head for printing and cutting stickers options include take up rollers on the front of the machine etc. absolutely amazing machines but way out of my price range.
Saving my pennies till I can afford a decent solvent printer cutter combo. (Yes im aware there are some workarounds, but the longevity of inkjet printing and water proofing / UV protecting the stickers is rather and involved process something I could mitigate all together with a better printer, unfortunately the solvent inks are far to aggressive to attempt modifying an existing inkjet.)
I had a few old inkjet printers knocking about so thought I’d attempt restoring them to working order whilst having a play around with inks and refilling the old cartridges. Simple, obviously I just put more ink in the cartridges and place them back in the printer and continue to print putting some old hardware to good use.
Reflecting on the weekend, have been working on a few projects. One using the max7219 LED matrix driver, which I’m considering writing my own library for as everything i’ve tried seems to fail, I have it working and can address each LED individually but haven’t been able display anything useful ie. fonts or text effects … anyway that’s a work in progress. I turned my hand to configuring a small 1.3″ OLED screen someone donated a while back now I can see it was some kind of addressing issue in the code I initially got it running (there were 2 pixels columns on the far right filled with random bits and a couple of leading pixel columns missing) anyway its working now I noticed the version I was running was from the google code repo and checked github see if the project was still live and found some more recent libraries, installed those and that seems to have remedied the problem.
Managed to sort out a good method for screen capture in gnome3 debian jessie. Was having issues capturing the screen in a format I was able to get in to my editing suite. Inadvertently I found out that debian jessie has built in screencapture/screencast ability. Pressing shift+ctrl+alt+R, a small red dot will appear in a panel near your login/logout panel to show if you are recording, files are automatically saved to your home videos folder, to stop recording just hit the keyboard shortcut again.
These files happen to be in webm format, I havent yet tried running the webm files through handbrake to see if I can convert them to mp4 as my editing suite doesnt natively support webm and one huge problem with the built in screencast is it only records my desktop and no audio. (Maybe I’m doing something wrong, would be easier to just use the built in screencapture)
So eventually my final solution was to record using kazam to mp4, this captured the video + audio, was even hoping I wouldnt have to transcode it again, but still the default format output by kazam isnt compatible with vegas, I then ran the files through handbrake and imported them and everything seems ok … now all the audio syncs with the video perfectly.
Its a bit of a mess/bodge job but it works, maybe if I get some time in future I might have a look see if its possible to edit the default screencast settings to capture audio+video and output to a compatible format preferably mp4.
NB. The default screen recorder only allows you to record for 30 seconds use the following line in terminal to change the maximum record time. gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.media-keys max-screencast-length 45